Wednesday 24 October 2012

DIY Coconut and Orange Lip Balm


There is nothing worse than dry, chapped lips (especially when you're a lipstick addict like me!) and I am forever hearing bad things about petroleum based lip balms (yes Vaseline I'm talking about you!).  With this painstakingly cold weather dry lips are inevitable and it's important to treat them well so I decided to make some of my own natural lip balm with my willing lab rats *ahem* flatmates!

You will need:

1 ounce of beeswax (I got mine from here)
50g of hard coconut oil or the melted equivalent (I got mine from here)
10ml vitamin e oil (I got mine from here)
A tsp of sweet orange oil (I got mine from here)

And containers for your finished product! I bought these but in the future I would buy bigger containers (10ml) or small jam jars


So first we grated the ounce of beeswax, we all took turns as the beeswax was so hard and we used a rubbish grater! Once grated we combined the beeswax and coconut oil in a microwaveable jug and melted the mixture. This didn't take very long so keep your eye on it as if over heated beeswax can go weird! Once melted add the vitamin E oil and the sweet orange oil gradually depending on how orangey you want it to smell!


We tested out the mixture in one pot and let it set (stick yours in the fridge to speed up setting time) before pouring them all just incase we needed to make a few changes. I think we melted it down again and added a bit of extra oil but it's all down to personal preference! All the ingredients are natural so it's super moisturising for your lips without any nasty chemicals. We are in love with the finished product and are already planning our next batch for Christmas gifts!

It's so simple to change the smell with different oils and next time I think we're going to try adding colour too! Just experiment 'til you come up with something you like.

What about you guys? Have you ever made your own cosmetics before? How did they turn out?


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig