Friday 28 June 2013

Spicy Rare Beef Salad

steak salad

If there's two things I love it's steak and spicy food. I can't get enough of either!

As this salad is packed with raw ingredients it's incredibly healthy and both the spinach and the steak means it's loaded with iron too. Which is great because once I try (and enjoy something) new I become fixated and eat it for about a week straight.

This salad can be eaten by itself for lunch or a light snack, or if you're a hungry little piggy like me try it with my homemade chips and hummus for a bit more of a filling meal!

To serve two you will need:

1 medium steak (I use rump or sirloin)
a bag of washed spinach
2 red birdseye chillies
2-3 spring onions
4 salad or large vine ripened tomatoes
sesame oil (optional)
olive oil
lemon
salt
pepper

You should always cook a steak from room temp, not fridge temp so make sure it's our for about 15 mins before you start cooking.

I have a bit of a thing about hot and cold food touching. I don't know what it is but I like my hot food to be piping and my cold food to be cold - there should never be an in between. If you like your food to be like this too prepare your steak at least half an hour earlier so you have time to stick it in the fridge.

Start by heating a pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil, while it's heating up you can get plates etc out ready to go. Once the oil is hot genourously season one side of steak and place it in the pan seasoned side down. Season the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping over and cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes. If you don't like your steak to be reallllly rare add an extra minute or two. Once cooked for however long remove from heat and leave to sit in the pan while your prepare the salad.

steak salad

I don't remember who I heard it from but I once heard that it's better to rip your salad than to cut it. Who know's if it's true, but do it anyway!

So... in a large bowl mix together ripped spinach leaves, diced tomatoes and your chillies and spring onions both finely chopped. Generously season with pepper (don't know why but I never salt my salad?) and to serve divide into bowls and thinly slice your steak and place on top. 

Finish by drizzling with sesame oil and a squeeze of lemon et voila!

What about you guys? What are your go to summer salads? Let me know!

bloglovin' | facebook | pinterest instagram
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig